ShalomLearning is proud to partner with The Jewish Grandparents Network and grandparents’ roles as essential supporters of todays’ families as transmitters of Jewish values and traditions. The Family Room offers activities for Jewish educators to use the site’s activities to enrich children’s and families’ Jewish engagement experiences.
The Family Room
The Family Room is a unique virtual space where grandparents can find experiences, activities, and resources to infuse their family relationships with Jewish culture, values, and traditions. Whether together in person or miles apart, grandparents, grandchildren, and family members can learn, explore, and play together using activities in the Family Room. Nine different destinations are filled with creative activities and diverse resources for families to do when it best suits them.
- Arts: Experience the pleasures of dancing with your grandchildren, tabletop drumming, shadow puppetry, photography, and the richness of museum art.
- Calendar: Find the dates of Jewish and secular holidays, and upcoming events, activities, and adventures for grandparents and family members.
- Celebrations and Holidays: Bring new meaning and joy to Jewish and secular holidays and celebrations.
- Cooking and Food: From knishes, to kasha, to kneidlach, explore the food, and the values and ethics of food, that enrich our Jewish culture and bring families together around the table.
- Family Stories: Learn about and share family histories through writing, video and audio recordings, storytelling, and creative portraits.
- Gardening and the Earth: Learn how we can become shomrei adamah, “guardians of the earth,” for example, through bug identification and home composting.
- Health and Wellbeing: Engage in activities that promote family members’ physical and emotional well-being including yoga, participatory art, and mindful walking.
- Play: From hopscotch to e-gaming, learn about the benefits of joyful play and playful learning with grandchildren — and have fun.
- Reading Room: Explore popular children’s literature from a Jewish perspective and discover wonderful Jewish children’s books including books on diversity and inclusion.